Dear Aunt Dot’s Place Volunteers,
While COVID-19 numbers are declining, food prices continue to increase. Supply chain demands and increased fuel costs make it challenging for everyone from grocers to manufacturers. We are thankful to all of the volunteers and donors who ensure the shelves and refrigerators at Aunt Dot’s Place are filled with food for our neighbors in need.
This is a friendly reminder if you regularly sign up to volunteer, please sign up to volunteer every other week and not every week to allow other volunteers the opportunity to serve. If slots are not filled 1 week after the monthly email has been sent out, then we invite you to sign up for additional slots outside of the every-other-week request. Please visit the sign-up website frequently, as others may have to cancel last minute. We want everyone to have the opportunity to volunteer and thank you for your passion to serve.
Please be aware of the following news and updates:
- Additional Volunteer Opportunities: We will be sending an email out soon with new volunteer opportunities that are outside of our normal business hours. These positions will also be added to the monthly sign-up calendar.
- Holiday Closures: Closed November 24, December 24, and December 31
- Mask Update: Be on the lookout for a survey for volunteers to share your feelings about masking! For now, the policy will remain the *SAME AS LAST MONTH* Masks must continue to be worn during open shop hours (Tuesday 6 pm-7:30 pm, Thursday 9 am-11 am, and Saturday 10 am-12 pm). If you are at Aunt Dot’s Place for other purposes other than open shop hours, masks are optional as we are not confined to the smaller areas and move more freely throughout the facility while stocking/sorting/labeling.
- Seeking Graphic Design Skills!: Do you or someone you know have graphic design skills? We’re looking for support in updating our current brochure that is distributed throughout the community. Please email us and let us know if you’re interested in helping!
- Thanksgiving Turkey Drive: We will be giving out donated Turkey this year to our clients. We are asking for 40 turkeys weighing 10-15lbs. total. They can be dropped off at Aunt Dot’s Place on November 10th, 12th, and 15th during open business hours. Turkeys and bags of fixings will be distributed on November 17th, 19th, and 22nd.
- *Donated turkeys must be delivered to Aunt Dot’s Place the same day they are purchased and a receipt will be requested to verify the same-day purchase. This is to ensure turkeys are fresh and follow all food safety regulations.
- Food Update
- Costco: 1,337 lbs
- Essex Alliance Church: 1,081 lbs
- Essex Experience: 8 lbs
- Essex Westford School District: 54 lbs
- Green Mountain Aquatics: 31 lbs
- Hannaford: 1,700 lbs
- Lions Club: 102 lbs
- Mark B.B.Q.: 35 lbs
- Nest Bakery: 4 lbs
- Pepperidge Farm: 127 lbs
- Poor House Pies: 54 lbs
- Price Chopper Donation Bin: 447 lbs
- Trader Joe’s: 1,292 lbs
- Transitions-Jericho: 105 lbs
- Unknown/Anonymous Donations: 847 lbs
- West Meadow Bakery: 28 lbs
- Donations Total: 7,252 lbs
October 2022 Food Purchased: $13,041
October 2022 Weight of Food Purchased: 7,439 pounds
2022 Calendar Year Amount of Food Purchased: $89,617
2022 Calendar Year Weight of Food Purchased: 60,931 pounds
Number of Active Households served: 194 (previous month 189)
Number of Active Household Members served: 543 (previous month 483)
Friendly Reminder: Monthly Board meetings occur on the 1st Wednesday of the month from 7 pm-8:30 pm. All are welcome to attend! The next meeting will occur on December 7, 2022, we hope you are able to join us.
If you are interested in joining the Board of Directors, please let us know. We will have two vacancies in mid-January 2023. Our annual meeting will be held on January 11, 2023, and those who attend will be eligible to vote for the candidates to fill the two vacant positions. If you would like more information on joining the Board please let us know.
Carissa A. Gump, OLY, MPA
Aunt Dot’s Place, Board President